Nationwide Pharmaceutical is a licensed pharmaceutical, medical device, and Over-the-counter (OTC) Food & Drug company in Texas. In this project, I used visual language to redefine their brand for various marketing & communications assets and new brand collateral.
The challenge was to create brand consistency across various mediums. This included simplifying the original logomark, creating fresh collateral, and redesigning a dull site into an exciting and action-orientated site.
This project started with refreshing the original logo. Initially the main tasks for refreshing this logo were simplifying the rod of caduceus, expanding the color palette, and modernizing the text treatment.
We started by changing the shape of the shield so it was sharper and sleek. The middle ribbon was changed to be more fluid and incorporated the star since this company is owned and operated by veterans. We took out a lot of detail from the rod of caduceus, this would make it more legible when it came to print and when the logo is scaled down. Next, we added the color yellow to the pallet to further separate the sections of the logo which is often used in other mediums for retired military. Then in order to make the logo text more modern we moved to a sans-serif font.
In our presentation of the first concept the client's initial feedback was the following points:
- Snakes in the rod of caduceus look like a horseshoe
- The text looks too similar to the Nationwide Insurance logo
- Incorporated an element from the Medical Wholesale logo (a division of the company)
- Not fans of the color yellow
To address the client's feedback I changed the shape of the snakes to move in an oval shape so it wouldn't be confused with a horseshoe. Next, the yellow was changed to blue, which is more in line with the medical aspect of the company. The star was changed to the plus sign similar to the one used in the client's logo for Medical Wholesale. Finally, we change the font from Roboto to Eurostile to avoid resemblance to Nationwide Insurance.
The next part of this project was brand collateral, including a business card, letterhead, notebook, post-it notes, mousepad, and mug. This was the opportunity to create consistency across different mediums, so we made sure to use the font and colors from the logo in the stationery, while using the middle ribbon of the logo to further creat visual interest.
The last part of this project was to create the website, in our talks with the client, they loved how dark navy was used in the business card, so when I was looking for inspiration for the website I wanted to see how other sites used dark themes.
Similar to the brand collateral, we used the colors and fonts from the logo across the site to further establish branding.